Frequently Asked QuestionsBefore contacting us, please browse our FAQ.
Pricing and Billing
When are payments due?
To reserve a spot in a group class or keep your time slot for private lessons, students MUST make payment before class starts. Total balance is due by the 1st lesson. There will be a $10 late fee if students fail to make payment before each class begins. Payments not made within 30 days of the 1st lesson will have an additional $25 late fee.
- Students taking private classes or interested in taking private classes in the future, are recommended to schedule and pay for classes on a monthly basis so your time slot can be guaranteed.
- Students who have an overdue tuition payment for 1 or more months will be placed on hold and may not take any additional classes until overdue payments have been cleared. KaiXin will give priority for time slots to other students who are interested in taking classes.
What are your current prices?
Our current prices may be found on our Pricing page.
What type of payments do you accept?
Only cash, check, Paypal, or Square payments are accepted at this time. Credit card payments are accepted when paying through Paypal. Payment details will be included in your registration confirmation email.
What happens if I miss a class or session?
Students who miss their group class can sit-in another class of the same level (only 1 sit-in allowed per group session). If the same level class is not offered at the same time, students may consider purchasing a 1 or 1.5 hours private lesson to catch up on their lesson at the current private lesson rate. No refunds will be offered if students miss a class.
Students who have scheduled a private session must notify KaiXin at least 12 hours prior to the class start time so a new time can be rescheduled. If KaiXin was not notified 12 hours prior to class start time, then there will be no make-up class or refunds for that session.
What is your refund policy?
Requests for refunds must be made 36 hours prior to the first class start time. The $25 one-time registration fee is not refundable.
Class Programs and Materials
What are the programs that are offered at KaiXin Language School?
We offer various programs to match your schedule, level, and pace. Want to learn in a group or by yourself? We’ve got you covered. Check out our Programs page for more information on what we offer.
When can I schedule a private session?
Private classes are generally available on the weekdays from 10am to 8pm and on Saturday from 10am to 5pm. Students who are interested in scheduling a private session may choose any number of sessions as they need. There is no commitment.
If you are interested in registering for private sessions, go to the Registration page and complete the form. On the field What class are you registering for?, select Private.
What materials are needed?
The following materials are used at this time:
- Basic level courses: Chit Chat Chinese (available for purchase on Amazon.com)
- Intermediate level courses and higher: Materials will be provided for an additional $10 program fee per level
How many students can each group class accommodate?
- Minimum class size: 4 students
- Maximum class size: 10 students
- Average class size varies: 5-8 students
What is the percentage of learning Chinese conversation, reading, and writing?
Starting with Basic level courses, we teach the foundation of Chinese (PinYin system, sentence structure) primarily in conversational Chinese about 80% of the time, with the remaining 20% of the time teaching simplifed Chinese characters (reading and writing). As we move to more advanced levels (Intermediate and Advanced), we increase the amount of time spent teaching character reading and writing to 30% – 40%. If your primary goal is focus only on reading and writing Chinese, you may request private courses with a customized lesson plans.
What is different about a Private class versus a Group class?
Private classes are tailored to meet student needs. Some students may have a specific goal or want to learn at a different pace.
Student goals may include one or more of the following:
- Travel – Get directions, dining, sightseeing, shopping
- Business – Partners, clients, meetings, interpreters
- Job Interviews – Preparation, terminology
- Teaching – Bilingual schools
- Advanced Learning – Reading, writing
Are there tools to help with learning Chinese?
You can find various tools or learning apps to help learn Chinese on the web. Some suggestions are:
- Pin Pin Chinese (PinYin system)
- Quizlet / Flashcards+ (Flashcards)
- Pleco (Dictionary)
- Skritter (Chinese character learning)
- Zimo HSK (Chinese proficiency test)